[foaf-dev] @deprecated mbox? (and phone? etc)

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Sat Feb 2 01:16:38 GMT 2008

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> I think the dct:isreplacedby solution is neat for the problem that you
> described, but I just wanted to comment on this point:
>
> On Friday 01 February 2008, Dan Brickley wrote:
>> Or we could put work/home etc roles into the mix, in which case some
>> care would be needed since these concepts also crop up with telephone
>> numbers etc. Is it worth doing something simple now for mail, or
>> trying to have a bigger cleaner model that covers all communication
>> endpoints?
>
> I feel that FOAF should be kept quite simple on this point, and that we
> instead should focus on getting the vCard ontology right. We started
> some work on it, but never really got there... I feel the vCard
> ontology is quite important, also to achieve round-trip between it and
> vCard and hCard.

But vCard is frozen. What I'm saying here is just that there is a world
of experience with vCard that can feed into something new. So sure lets
work with vcard as it now is, but also make efforts this year to go talk
to companies and projects who built UIs around the concepts in vCard,
and find out where they're hurting, what they wish they could do beyond
that.