[foaf-dev] GRDDL and JSON

Morten Høybye Frederiksen morten at wasab.dk
Tue Feb 12 09:49:57 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Feb 6, 2008 10:42 AM, Benjamin Nowack <bnowack at semsol.com> wrote:
> I like the idea. I'm not sure how the transformation mechanism
> should work, though. Portable/executable transformations (à la
> GRDDL), or dedicated parsers, or transformation services where
> you pass the json data to?
Good question.

Apparently my memory didn't serve me correct information, as I thought
that GRDDL transformations were first identifiers for a set of
"rules", second a possible implementation of those rules, usually in
XSLT. However, it seems that they are now expected to actually work
for any client, so using just an identifier apparently isn't good
enough.

> Either way I'd vote for a simple agreed on "this is rdfizable json"
> identifier as the callback prefix. This could simplify format
> detection a bit.
Fair enough, but my concern was that we'd be open to accidental grddl'ing...

> As a 2nd callback "hook" we'd need a
> format-specific identifier or transformation service URI (depending
> on how the mechanism is supposed to work), e.g.
Right.

> short identifiers + a centralized transformation registry:
>    json2rdf_gsg(...)
The simplest thing that could possibly work...

Perhaps we should take this to another forum, perhaps even try to
write a note or something along those lines.

Regards,
Morten