[foaf-dev] Suggestion for WOT vocab - PGP Word List fingerprints

Keith Beckman kbeckman at becknet.com
Tue Jul 29 18:55:57 BST 2008

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:44:22 +0100
  "Earle Martin" <earle at downlode.org> wrote:
> ... without having to find and use an implementation of the word
> list algorithm yourself to produce it.

and

> Anyway, nobody's forcing you to use every available property.

A client which wished to make use of the biometric encoding (the
utility of which I don't contest -- indeed, I use your CPAN module
when I need to get at it in Perl) would not be able to depend on every
upstream document providing the preparsed fingerprint, and would thus
need -- for robustness -- to include facilities for encoding
fingerprints anyway. As well, if such facilities were available, it
would likely be better practice to treat the hexadecimal string as
authoritative and generate the biometric encoding from it, than, say:

if(!fingerprint_wordlist) {
    fingerprint_wordlist = wordlist_encode(fingerprint);
    }