[foaf-dev] FOAF AutoDiscovery vs RDF AutoDiscovery

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Mon May 5 09:14:30 BST 2008

Peter Ansell <ansell.peter at gmail.com> Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:03:58
>2008/4/26 Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com>:
>>  There seems to be a growing movement towards using XRDS for a more generic
>> auto-discovery. See XRDS-Simple[1] for instance.
>
>Has it been used with RDF before? Any prominent examples?

It's all new, so not yet.

>>  Has anyone thought about getting FOAF in there as well so that FOAF become
>> just another service type within a single XRDS file?
>
>Why not create the same protocol in RDF so you don't have to have a
>centralised list of types that can be used?

Feel free to re-invent it!

Seriously though, we're looking at a Use Case where a user is signing up
to a new social network using OpenID. As part of that process we'd like
to pick up their FOAF file to populate their profile form and find
members already on the service that appear in their foaf:knows
relations. Since there is almost certainly an XRDS-Simple document for
OpenID discovery in that process, it makes some sense to also pick up
the FOAF file location at the same time from the same document. What
we're proposing is an entry something like this.

<Service priority="1">
  <Type>http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/</Type>
  <MediaType>application/rdf+xml</MediaType>
  <URI>http://www.voidstar.com/foaf.xml</URI>
</Service>

Would the FOAF community have any objection to using the FOAF xmlns in
this circumstance given the commitment at the top of
http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/ ?

--
Julian Bond  E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com  M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
Webmaster:          http://www.ecademy.com/      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433