[foaf-dev] [Fwd: [FriendFeed] Re: FOAF tweaks]

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Fri May 9 15:27:57 BST 2008

Richard Cyganiak <richard at cyganiak.de> Fri, 9 May 2008 15:01:25
>mbox_sha1sum is like an “identity fingerprint” that can be tracked
>across the Web. Users will be surprised that sites publish such a
>fingerprint.

Which is of course, exactly why it's useful. And no matter how many
times I say "if you want to keep your identities separate, don't use the
same identifier, people will still do it.

Back To FriendFeed and sites like them. If it's not mbox_sha1sum, is
there some other IFP that could be used? If say, they were an OpenID
consumer, and that was published in the foaf, and further the user used
the same OpenID for different personas across two websites, we'd be back
to the same problem again, wouldn't we? Isn't this an argument against
IFPs and smushing in general?

--
Julian Bond  E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com  M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
Webmaster:          http://www.ecademy.com/      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433