[foaf-dev] [Fwd: [FriendFeed] Re: FOAF tweaks]

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Fri May 9 17:30:30 BST 2008

On 9 May 2008, at 15:27, Julian Bond wrote:

> Richard Cyganiak <richard at cyganiak.de> Fri, 9 May 2008 15:01:25
>> mbox_sha1sum is like an “identity fingerprint” that can be tracked
>> across the Web. Users will be surprised that sites publish such a
>> fingerprint.
>
> Which is of course, exactly why it's useful. And no matter how many
> times I say "if you want to keep your identities separate, don't use
> the same identifier, people will still do it.
>
> Back To FriendFeed and sites like them. If it's not mbox_sha1sum, is
> there some other IFP that could be used?

Homepage. And in fact any account page: There's only one person who
can own any of those accounts mentioned in the FriendFeed FOAF. That's
why I think foaf:holdsAccount should be an IFP. Then you could do:

<foaf.rdf#cygri> foaf:holdsAccount <http://twitter.com/cygri> .
<foaf.rdf#cygri> foaf:holdsAccount <http://flickr.com/photos/cygri> .
<foaf.rdf#cygri> foaf:holdsAccount <http://last.fm/user/cygri> .

And if you know me through any of those public social networks, you
can smush.

(To anticipate the inevitable complaint that an online account is not
the same as the profile page of that account: I think for the purposes
of FOAF they can and should be treated as the same, because that's
useful.)

Best,
Richard