[foaf-dev] [Fwd: [FriendFeed] Re: FOAF tweaks]

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Wed May 14 01:12:30 BST 2008

2008/5/14 Anthony Steele <Anthony at plasticavalon.org>:

>  Dan Brickley wrote:
>

> > hi folks
> >
> > FYI, FriendFeed have nice FOAF descriptions of people's online accounts.
> It's just been updated to describe account names properly.

>  Hi
>
>  I'm looking at the XML at that URL, and each friends has a rdf:nodeID, e.g.
> <foaf:knows> <foaf:Person rdf:nodeID="craigdibble">...
>
>  Which looks like a unique string id, except that it in that document is
> always the nickname, which I would not say is guaranteed to be unique. What
> happens if two friends have the same nickname?

The persons actual foaf:identifier is completely separate from this
due to the distributed, seeAlso linked strategy of FOAF, so I would
say autogenerating extra unique ID's if one ever came across a person
with two friends of the same nickname would be useful, but I didn't
implement it. For example, craigdibble_1 would be sufficiently unique
for FOAF internal purposes I think if there was another person like
that which you needed to reference. Noone should ever reference these
URI's outside of the document so it is incidental what the
identification mechanism is anyway.

Peter