[foaf-dev] rdfs:Literal

Luigi Selmi selmi_luigi at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 17 14:25:16 CEST 2008

Hi Reto,
I don't know if it is a bug of the Protege editor. I think that it is formally correct since the foaf:firstName property has rdfs:Literal as range. Protege (3.3.1) produces the following code of a model of one individual MickeyMouse whose firstName property value is an instance of rdfs:Literal, Mickey.

<owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
        <owl:imports rdf:resource="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"/>
    </owl:Ontology>
    <foaf:Person rdf:ID="MickeyMouse">
        <foaf:firstName rdf:resource="#Mickey"/>
        <foaf:family_name rdf:resource="#Mouse"/>
    </foaf:Person>
 <rdfs:Literal rdf:ID="Mickey"/>
    <rdfs:Literal rdf:ID="Mouse"/>

The editor should be aware of the rdfs:Literal and let the user enter a string but this is the way Protege works and so it's impossible to make a sparql query to look for the resource that has "Mickey" has the value of the foaf:firstName property. Maybe other editors work in a different way. Unfortunately I didn't get any response from the protege-owl mailing list yet.

Luigi

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Lao Tzu

Luigi Selmi, MSc
addr.: 12 P.zza Roselle 00179 Rome, Italy
skype: luigiselmi
mobile: 3482405674
web site: http://www.sharesemantics.com