[foaf-dev] [Fwd: [FoRK] The Social Pulse of Human Connectivity On A Planetary Scale]

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 14:54:22 CEST 2009

2009/4/23 Simon Reinhardt <simon.reinhardt at koeln.de>:
> Dan Brickley wrote:
>> Rather interesting! Assuming MSN users are representative...

Yup, interesting.

> I think there are local preferences over which IM network to use. In Germany ICQ had always been the most widespread one but MSN has caught up among the younger ones (different generations of friends). Nowadays it's not instant messengers anymore but social networks I assume. Unfortunately I could never find any statistics that compared usage in different countries. But I would say MSN's not *that* representative. :-)

I'm not sure the result really adds much weight to 6.x being a
constant given that a couple of extra variables are introduced -

1. there's (probably) a lower barrier to making acquaintances online
than in meatspace (reducing the distance)
2. not everyone uses MSN, or even is online (increasing the distance)

I would suspect that 1. would mean that in general the average
distance is a lot shorter now than Milgram's time, and in the MSN
results 2. just coincidentally happens to push the figure back up
again.

Cheers,
Danny.

--