[foaf-dev] strawpoll: migrate from foaf:holdsAccount to foaf:account?

Nicholas Shanks contact at nickshanks.com
Tue Aug 25 09:20:45 CEST 2009

2009/8/24 Toby Inkster <tai at g5n.co.uk>:
> On 22 Aug 2009, at 18:37, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> As another point, if foaf:account is defined to link to an account homepage,
> then how does it differ from foaf:homepage? Why would the property even be
> needed at all?

I thought exactly this too. We already have foaf:hompage property, why
not allow it to be used in OnlineAccount too?
But after a little more thought I realised that there are usually
three "homepages" associated with an account: the user profile page,
which tells third parties about this user; the page the user sees
after logging in, which allows the user to edit their friends etc; and
the homepage of the website as a whole (i.e. //host/index.html).
An ambiguous term such as "homepage" could end up being linked to all
three of those by different authors, even if the spec specified which
it should be. We already have the problems of http vs https; www vs
no‐www; trailing slash vs. no slash, in even specifying the service
homepage.

– Nicholas