[foaf-dev] Proposal: deprecate pastProject and currentProject

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Sun Dec 13 10:57:14 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Libby Miller <libby at nicecupoftea.org> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I've being reading through the foaf spec and I want to make the
> following proposal: deprecate pastProject and currentProject.

You missed a bit of our proposal?

Since FOAF is presented as a "dictionary of terms", and since it
tracks vocabulary usage in a global Web, the idea of 'deprecate' is a
bit strong. So we are instead suggesting to use a marker of "archaic"
in the spec. This is similar to what you'd find in a natural language
dictionary when some terminology was very old-fashioned and not common
in contemporary usage. It also leaves the door open for things to come
back into fashion. In this way the FOAF spec has a somewhat
anthropological aspect, rather than being purely imperative.

cheers,