[foaf-dev] Proposal: deprecate pastProject and currentProject

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Mon Dec 14 12:55:57 CET 2009

(i forgot a bit)

> 2a. Same thing with minor RDFa FOAF
> about="http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#danbri" typeof="foaf:Person"
> xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">
> My name is <span property="foaf:name">Dan Brickley</span> and I spent
> much of the '80s at <a rel="foaf:schoolHomepage"
> href="http://www.westergate.w-sussex.sch.uk/">Westergate School</a>.
> Before that I was at <a rel="foaf:schoolHomepage"
> href="http://www.eastergate.w-sussex.sch.uk/">Eastergate</a>, where we
> moved in 1978 from <a
> href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsey_Green">Hamsey Green</a> near
> attended the <a rel="foaf:schoolHomepage"
> href="http://hginfant.schoolwebbuilder.co.uk/">infants school</a> I
> guess from late 1976 to summer 1978. Before that, it's all a blur :)

>  Perhaps
> http://foo.example.org/#! could be a common prefix and
> http://foo.example.org/#!! a convention for 'the thing described by
> this document'. It doesn't seem used at the moment for anything else.
>
> I'm a bit worried we'll end up doubling the number of links, since
> whenever we mention some other document in an HTML hyperlink, we'll
> have to mention the thing it is about as well.

So, thinking was that in RDFa talking about me, I can have:

2a.  I spent much of the '80s at <a rel="foaf:schoolHomepage"
href="http://www.westergate.w-sussex.sch.uk/">Westergate School</a>.

or
3a.
"I spent much of the '80s at <a rel="foaf:school"
href="http://www.westergate.w-sussex.sch.uk/#!!">Westergate
School</a>."

(this construct meaning: "at the school that is the main topic
described in the page at...")

If we introduce a "hashbangbang" convention that uri#!! is owl:sameAs
tdb:uri, and that it names the thing that is the foaf:primaryTopic of
the main document. This way, a normal hyperlink can still function,
the browser won't even send the #!! piece to the server when
requesting the page, so most analytics won't notice it (although .js
can see / report it, so that's not guaranteed).

So the choice of property in rel= can be tuned, depending on whether
the link is to a page or (from an rdf perspective) the thing described
by the page. Most people would just see a link and 3 more chars of
punctuation.

Dan

ps. I'm not sure what % of pages on the Web can be considered to have
a clear 'primary Topic'. I imagine quite a lot, but not sure what to
do about the borderzone or the remainder.