[foaf-dev] Proposal: deprecate pastProject and currentProject

Steve Harris steve.harris at garlik.com
Mon Dec 14 13:12:00 CET 2009

On 14 Dec 2009, at 11:55, Dan Brickley wrote:
> (i forgot a bit)
>> Perhaps
>> http://foo.example.org/#! could be a common prefix and
>> http://foo.example.org/#!! a convention for 'the thing described by
>> this document'. It doesn't seem used at the moment for anything else.
>>
>> I'm a bit worried we'll end up doubling the number of links, since
>> whenever we mention some other document in an HTML hyperlink, we'll
>> have to mention the thing it is about as well.
>
> So, thinking was that in RDFa talking about me, I can have:
>
> 2a.  I spent much of the '80s at <a rel="foaf:schoolHomepage"
> href="http://www.westergate.w-sussex.sch.uk/">Westergate School</a>.
>
> or
> 3a.
> "I spent much of the '80s at <a rel="foaf:school"
> href="http://www.westergate.w-sussex.sch.uk/#!!">Westergate
> School</a>."
>
> (this construct meaning: "at the school that is the main topic
> described in the page at...")

The bangbang thing seems a bit too much like line noise. what other
suffices can you imagine that people might want after a bang?

> If we introduce a "hashbangbang" convention that uri#!! is owl:sameAs
> tdb:uri, and that it names the thing that is the foaf:primaryTopic of
> the main document. This way, a normal hyperlink can still function,
> the browser won't even send the #!! piece to the server when
> requesting the page, so most analytics won't notice it (although .js
> can see / report it, so that's not guaranteed).

> So the choice of property in rel= can be tuned, depending on whether
> the link is to a page or (from an rdf perspective) the thing described
> by the page. Most people would just see a link and 3 more chars of
> punctuation.

It introduces an additional burden on FOAF processors. You could
sometimes add entailed triples, or you could have two set of queries
for every page/concept type property, but neither of those options
seems great.

There will always be cases where you can't go from a concept to a
page, because the concept given has no obviously derivable page http://foo.example/myconcenpt#ThatIJustThoughtUp
.

- Steve