[foaf-dev] Proposal: deprecate pastProject and currentProject

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Mon Dec 14 13:35:39 CET 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 2:56 AM, KANZAKI Masahide <mkanzaki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I use both pastProject and currentProject in my FOAF, and will miss
> them if deprecated.
>

>> I'm concerned also at the inclusion of time in the description of the
>> property name, which is different to the 'present tense' form of the
>> rest of the properties.
>
> Well, that's a naming lesson. Though many 'present tense' properties,
> e.g. homepage or mbox, are not suitable to describe old ones, but
> that's an inherent problem of RDF itself...

Yes, RDF doesn't make this easy. Well, the universe doesn't make this
easy: sharing unambiguous data about a changing world is filled with
problems!

I suggest whatever we decide here, should also offer a consistent
treatment of foaf:schoolHomepage and foaf:workplaceHomepage ...

Any X that is a true value for my schoolHomepage now, will always be a
true value. We need to decide whether workplaceHomepage has that same
'static' characteristic of 'if once true, will always be true'. I no
longer work for W3C; so is http://www.w3.org/ still a fair value of
foaf:workplaceHomepage for me? Whichever idiom we choose needs careful
documentation as aggregators will be able to cache the static
properties more aggressively.

>> Any thoughts? I'm wondering why they are not used much. Are they not
>> useful?
>
> Maybe people do not come up with the idea to use 'project' in their
> profile, because there is no corresponding field in SNS ?

Quite possibly, yes. Advogato allows it but I don't know anywhere else.

cheers,