[foaf-dev] Proposal: deprecate pastProject and currentProject

Toby Inkster tai at g5n.co.uk
Mon Dec 14 14:26:21 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 12:43 +0100, Dan Brickley wrote:
> 3a. Richard's version - entity rather than page centric?
>
> Can you post RDFa and triples here. Non-scary HTML is a goal, ie.
> stuff that people can write without thinking much about RDF.

I am not Richard, but the most elegant RDFa I can write for
entiy-centric properties is:

xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">
My name is <span property="foaf:name">Dan Brickley</span> and I spent
much of the '80s at <span rel="foaf:school"><a
typeof="foaf:Organization" property="foaf:name" rel="foaf:homepage"
href="http://www.westergate.w-sussex.sch.uk/">Westergate School</a></a>.
Before that I was at <span rel="foaf:school"><a
typeof="foaf:Organization" property="foaf:name" rel="foaf:homepage"
href="http://www.eastergate.w-sussex.sch.uk/" content="Eastergate
School">Eastergate</a></span>, where we moved in 1978 from <a
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsey_Green">Hamsey Green</a> near
attended the <span rel="foaf:school"><a typeof="foaf:Organization"
property="foaf:name" rel="foaf:homepage"
href="http://hginfant.schoolwebbuilder.co.uk/" content="Hamsey Green
Infants' School">infants school</a></span> I guess from late 1976 to
summer 1978. Before that, it's all a blur :)

Or, in summary, each school link becomes:

    <a typeof="foaf:Organization"
       property="foaf:name"
       rel="foaf:homepage"
       href="LINK">NAME</a></span>

(Giving the <a> element a content attribute where you wish the link text
and foaf:name of the school to differ.)

This is certainly more verbose, adding an extra element for each school,
but as a bonus, it gives us an explicit foaf:name and rdf:type for each.

If each school had an established linked data URI, then it would be
possible to do something like:

  <a rel="foaf:school" href="LINK" resource="DATA_URI">...</a>

And you win back a bit of simplicity, at the cost of losing the
foaf:name and rdf:type triples.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>