[foaf-dev] Proposal: deprecate pastProject and currentProject

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Mon Dec 14 19:23:05 CET 2009

Dan Brickley wrote:
> There's a risk with this stuff of building parallel sets of
> properties; those that link to pages and those that link to the
> primary topics of those pages. RDFa biases us towards the former,
> modelling clarity towards the latters. Reminds me of the XFN mapping
> discussion too.
>
> workplaceHomepage, schoolHomepage are in former category; pastProject,
> currentProject too on my preferred reading; but I don't have a strong
> view.

FWIW, I've been working lately with CIDOC CRM [1] [2].

The issue of present, past and distant past relations are captured quite neatly
byb an event-mediated structure - things (people, places, objects, times) are
related to things by events.  These events provide a place to hang additional
information so that properties like pastXXX and currentXXX aren't needed.

So we have clean and flexible modelling;  the downside is a tendency to generate
very "deep" RDF structures.  AFAICT, it works as well for scientific as well as
for its roots in cultural heritage

Does any of this have relevance for FOAF?  I don't know, but there have been
apparently successful efforts to configure other DC-style "flat" vocabularies
around CRM (e.g. CDWA-Lite/MuseumDat).

#g
--

[1] http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/