[foaf-dev] foaf:page for foaf:OnlineAccount

Nicholas J Humfrey njh at aelius.com
Fri Dec 18 19:49:18 CET 2009

On 17 Dec 2009, at 15:29, Dan Brickley <danbri at danbri.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Nicholas J Humfrey <njh at aelius.com>
> wrote:
>> I know this has been discussed at length in the past, but is there
>> anything wrong with using foaf:page to point to the page for a
>> foaf:OnlineAccount?
>>
>>  <foaf:account>
>>    <foaf:OnlineAccount rdf:about="#me-delicious">
>>      <foaf:page rdf:resource="http://delicious.com/njh" />
>>      <foaf:accountServiceHomepage rdf:resource="http://
>> delicious.com/" />
>>      <foaf:accountName>njh</foaf:accountName>
>>    </foaf:OnlineAccount>
>>  </foaf:account>
>
> Nothing objectively wrong with that use of foaf:page, although the
> usage isn't well established. It might be preferable than the wordy
> and halfheartedly-introduced foaf:accountProfilePage, which has been
> discussed but not spec'd.
>
> The attration to me of using the simplest form, using the page URI as
> the OnlineAccount URI, is that it brings us closer to other Web 2-ish
> idioms like XFN and the social graph api,
> http://code.google.com/apis/socialgraph/ ... and that it takes a layer
> of complicating indirection out of our data.
>
> It also looks simpler in RDFa, since we can decorate links, which was
> one of the motivations for the pretty-unanimous move from
> foaf:holdsAccount to foaf:account:

> href="http://twitter.com/danbri/" rel="foaf:account">twitter</a>.</p>
>
> I accept that if we want to document the detailed characteristics of
> our "account" in the sense of business relationship, we don't want to
> mix this up with the page. But I suggest that notion of account is
> different anyway; eg. FriendFeed is owned by Facebook now;  Flickr by
> Yahoo, and so on. This is more a 'username' level of acccount.
>
> Will anything in particular break if we start using the page URIs
> direction for OnlineAccount instances?

Flickr is the main site I can think of that this doesn't work well for
- but a president of which page to use as your acoount page could be
set by the foaf community.

Another issue is pages changing over time - for example Facebook where
your account page is initally numeric and then can be customised.
Having a single account URI and multiple account foaf:page URIs would
certainly help with this. And IFP can handle the equality.

On the other hand what you are proposing is simplier and I am a fan of
making things simpler :-)

nick.