[foaf-dev] Does a WebId have to have a fragment?

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Sat Dec 19 19:28:03 CET 2009

Greetings.

WebIDs were mentioned in another thread here.  A bit of googling found <http://esw.w3.org/topic/WebID>, indicating that the term 'WebID' was less vapourous than I thought it was.  Good!

That document discusses how to make your own WebID, mentions making a FOAF file, and says:

> Your Web ID is made up of the URL of that file on the Web, plus #ABC, where you replace ABC with your initials.(Technically, you can use #me, #this, or any other fragment identifier; initials are currently being recommended.) (<-- recommended by whom? and how to handle suffixes, e.g., Jr., Sr., III, IV?)

That is, this account fairly explicitly says that the WebID _must_ have a fragment identifier.  Is that necessary, or just an accident of drafting.  I've used http://nxg.me.uk/norman/ as the location of my FOAF file -- is that now not a WebID?

Or -- the short version -- is a WebID intended to be just any URI which is declared to be a foaf:Person?

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk