[foaf-dev] beyond foaf:mbox_sha1sum

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Sat Dec 19 20:14:59 CET 2009

On 19 Dec 2009, at 18:05, Gregory Williams wrote:
>>> 3. perhaps remove the owl:InverseFunctionalProperty typing (this
>>> will
>>> help with OWL DL compatibility too)
>>
>> +1. In practice, doing IFP smushing on this property according to the
>> OWL spec is a recipe for disaster anyway [1].
>
> I'm not convinced about this "recipe for disaster" stuff. The
> pedantic web page you link to suggests to me that people should just
> be careful when using this term, not that they shouldn't use it.

I didn't say that people shouldn't use the term. I said that you
shouldn't do IFP smushing according to the OWL spec on the term.
Because if you do, you will get horrible results. Several of my
colleagues in DERI have tried it and can tell entertaining war
stories. You need a blacklist of known-bad values, plus a bunch of
additional heuristics, if you want to do smushing on this property.

> The fact that some sites don't properly protect against exporting
> the hash of an empty string (where an email address should have
> been) doesn't strike me as a reason that the sites that do use it
> properly shouldn't benefit from its current use.

Removing the IFP flag from the FOAF spec doesn't stop anyone from
benefitting from the current use of the property. It just means that
an off-the-shelf OWL reasoner won't attempt to do the smushing.

Best,
Richard