[foaf-dev] beyond foaf:mbox_sha1sum

Gregory Williams greg at evilfunhouse.com
Sat Dec 19 20:44:44 CET 2009

On Dec 19, 2009, at 2:31 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Richard Cyganiak <richard at cyganiak.de> wrote:
>
>> Removing the IFP flag from the FOAF spec doesn't stop anyone from
>> benefitting from the current use of the property. It just means that an
>> off-the-shelf OWL reasoner won't attempt to do the smushing.
>
> Yup...

But the current use of the property involves the fact that it's an IFP. Removing the IFP flag might stop people from benefitting from smushing unless they know specifically to add it back in. I'm open to the idea that smushing can lead to unwanted results, but removing the IFP flag will clearly change the semantics involved and could dramatically affect the functioning of existing systems.

.greg