[foaf-dev] beyond foaf:mbox_sha1sum

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Sat Dec 19 21:18:02 CET 2009

On 19 Dec 2009, at 19:31, Dan Brickley wrote:

>>> I'm not convinced about this "recipe for disaster" stuff. The
>>> pedantic web
>>> page you link to suggests to me that people should just be careful
>>> when
>>> using this term, not that they shouldn't use it.
>
> 'Disaster' is overkill,

Smushing 60k+ people into a single über-node is the closest you can
come to a disaster in FOAF-land ;-)

<snip>
>> You need a blacklist of known-bad
>> values, plus a bunch of additional heuristics, if you want to do
>> smushing on
>> this property.
>
> If the list is short, it might be worth including in the spec?

The tech report written up by Aidan and colleagues [1] mentions two
values:

08445a31a78661b5c746feff39a9db6e4e2cc5cf
da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709

The first is the hash of "mailto:", the second is the hash of the
empty string.

Best,
Richard

[1] http://www.deri.ie/fileadmin/documents/DERI-TR-2009-07-28.pdf