[foaf-dev] beyond foaf:mbox_sha1sum

Damian Steer pldms at mac.com
Sat Dec 19 21:21:24 CET 2009

On 19 Dec 2009, at 14:42, Dan Brickley wrote:

> 1. mark foaf:mbox_sha1sum as archaic

As others have said, premature.

> 2. rewrite http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_mbox_sha1sum to more
> clearly emphasise the risks, and that decision to publish shouldn't be
> made for others

Sound reasonable to me. The main lesson to be drawn has little to do with foaf and hashing, though: merely making you name public may provide sufficient information to guess your email address.

> 3. perhaps remove the owl:InverseFunctionalProperty typing (this will
> help with OWL DL compatibility too)

Not sure what this is supposed to achieve in this context?

You might want to add a literal range to the mbox_sha1sum to make it immediately DL incompatible.
Additionally we know have the shiny new hasKey. Would adding Agent hasKey ( mbox_sha1sum ) make DL happier, or compound the existing insult?

Damian