[foaf-dev] beyond foaf:mbox_sha1sum

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Sat Dec 19 22:13:24 CET 2009

Hi Greg,

On 19 Dec 2009, at 19:44, Gregory Williams wrote:
<snip>
> I'm open to the idea that smushing can lead to unwanted results,

That's not just an idea, it's a well-documented phenomenon that
multiple parties who have worked with FOAF crawls have encountered and
documented.

> but removing the IFP flag will clearly change the semantics involved
> and could dramatically affect the functioning of existing systems.

Evidence, please. Do you know of existing, deployed systems that use
off-the-shelf OWL Full reasoners to make use of the built-in IFP
semantics on foaf:mbox_sha1sum, and hence would be affected by the
change?

The mere possibility of the existence of such systems doesn't make a
compelling argument, I think.

Best,
Richard