[foaf-dev] beyond foaf:mbox_sha1sum

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Tue Dec 22 13:55:45 CET 2009

Mischa, hello.

On 2009 Dec 22, at 12:00, Mischa Tuffield wrote:

> Comments, feedback, suggestions welcomed, [on the FOAF validator at http://foaf.qdos.com/validator/]

Delighted!

  * If I just put in my URI (http://nxg.me.uk/norman/ in this case), it objects that

Warning. The document URL is not of type FOAF Document. The FOAF URL should be of rdf:type foaf:PersonalProfileDocument or foaf:Documentso that the URL can be identified as a FOAF document

This is true, but slightly tangential, given that the validator has by this stage gone through the 303-dance, so knows that the URL it's been given is not an information resource.  The validator could check that the URL it's been given is (as it in this case must be) a foaf:Person and _not_ a foaf:PersonalProfileDocument.

  * But the form does say to put in a FOAF document, so if I put in http://nxg.me.uk/norman/ttl (which is served as application/x-turtle), then the validator seems to stall, returning:

Tests A - Raptor RDF Parser validation

rapper: Parsing URI http://nxg.me.uk/norman/ttl with parser guess
rapper: Serializing with serializer ntriples
rapper: Guessed parser name 'guess'
rapper: Parsing returned 88 triples

...and ending the HTTP response with a lone </p>.

  * If I finally go back and try http://nxg.me.uk/norman/rdf, then I get a number of warnings including

Warning. The use of domain URI without a trailing slash, the convention as per http examples states that : http://www.google.com is not sociable and should have a trailing slash

I've never heard of this convention, or of the idea that a URI is or is not 'sociable' because of the presence or absence of the redundant and not-required trailing slash.  Can you elaborate?  The link in the warning message is to <http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/4_Ex_HTTP.html>, which only lists a number of example URIs (that's a _very_ old page, by the way).

But thanks for the validator, and all the things that it approves of.  Validators: I love 'em!

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk