[foaf-dev] beyond foaf:mbox_sha1sum

Steve Harris steve.harris at garlik.com
Tue Dec 22 14:13:41 CET 2009

On 22 Dec 2009, at 12:55, Norman Gray wrote:
> Warning. The use of domain URI without a trailing slash, the
> convention as per http examples states that : http://www.google.com
> is not sociable and should have a trailing slash
>
> I've never heard of this convention, or of the idea that a URI is or
> is not 'sociable' because of the presence or absence of the
> redundant and not-required trailing slash.  Can you elaborate?  The
> link in the warning message is to <http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/4_Ex_HTTP.html
> >, which only lists a number of example URIs (that's a _very_ old
> page, by the way).

I'm not Mischa, but I feel very strongly about this, so I'll reply as
well.

Without some convention in this area we make FOAF processors jobs a
lot harder. The Addressing page is very old, but so are URIs.

When we looked, the majority of URIs in FOAF used the normalised form
(with a trailing /) as in the Addressing document, so I would think it
would be best to conform to that.

The alternative would be to resolve "http:/google.com" and see what it
forwards to, and using what 30x directives, but that opens another can
of worms.

N.B.

GET  HTTP/1.0
on google.com:80 returns a 404 error, so at least in that case it's an
incorrect URI. It's probably an invalid HTTP request also, but I can't
be bothered to look to be honest :)

GET / HTTP/1.0
from the US returns a 200, which would make http://google.com/ a valid
google URI
from the UK I get a 302 pointing to http://www.google.co.uk/

So, nowhere do I see a justification for identifying Google's homepage
with "http://www.google.com".

- Steve