[foaf-dev] beyond foaf:mbox_sha1sum

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Tue Dec 22 19:31:19 CET 2009

On 22 Dec 2009, at 13:36, Mischa Tuffield wrote:

> Hi Henry,
> [snip]
>
> On 22 Dec 2009, at 13:15, Story Henry wrote:
>> [snip]
>> When someone specifies a foaf:homepage, one can follow through the consequences of this:
>> - ask them if they want to make it their OpenID, and then give them instructions on how to do this, so that it can be verified.
>
> I make an attempt at this in the validator. If the FOAF document in question shares any IFPs with other foaf files in our in KB, we highlight them. You can see examples of this when you attempt to validate my foaf file :
>
> http://foaf.qdos.com/validator/uri?URI=http%3A%2F%2Fmmt.me.uk%2Ffoaf.rdf&VERBOSE=&PARSE=Parse+URI%3A+

This took a bit of time to come up, but once it did I understood why...
Very nice.
I tried it of course on my own foaf file.
   http://bblfish.net/people/henry/card

Some things I noticed doing this:

- the foaf spec has two properties for
  http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_OnlineAccount
    "May have properties: holds account holds account"

- Test 3: Checking if PrimaryTopic is a foaf:Person:
     Success. Your PrimaryTopic is a foaf:Person
  should that be foaf:primaryTopic?
  I suppose that is because the document is a PersonalProfileDocument. Normal foaf:Documents don't have that restriction.
  If this is a foaf:PersonalProfileDocument, then I think it follows that the primary topic is a foaf:Person. So perhaps the thing to check would be if it follows from what is said in the doc, that it is not. (now that would be a bit of owl reasoning, but it should be ok, as you are limiting it to small documents)

- Test 10: Checking if foaf:mbox_sha1sum have language tags
 ??? sha1_sums with language tags ???

Very nice services! http://foaf.qdos.com/

> [snip] and we do NO OWL stuff in the foaf.qdos world. All of the functionality has been implemented using a bunch of sparql queries.

Well one can do OWL using SPARQL CONSTRUCT queries of course :-) That is what I used the networked graph sail in Sesame for http://is.gd/5xySC in the Sommer Address Book.

And you do use some of the inferencing I hope: such as if someone foaf:knows someone that both must be foaf:People....

What would be interesting also, in addition to your great work, would be to have semantic validators too that can work out clear oddities that follow from applying owl rules on a file.

But thanks a lot, I have used it to fix a few problems in my foaf file. This is something to integrate in an Address Book too.

Henry