[foaf-dev] [foaf-protocols] revisiting FOAF project goals

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Sun Jun 21 20:16:50 CEST 2009

Hailton Sales wrote:
>> 1) FOAF+SSL [1] which piggy backs off SSL, to allow a client prove
>> that they own a profile
>> 2) OpenID ("Your global identifier throughout the web isn't
>> "happygirl234324" or an email address, or
>> "bradfitz at identityserver.com", but your FOAF URL" -- Brad Fitzpatrick
>> [2] )
>>
> I totally agree to that, I would just use "FOAF URI" instead of "FOAF
> URL" and make an emphatic use of the "buzzword".

Henry,

Yes, it is "URI", but we need to harmonize language within the community
so that terminology is consistent when speaking outwards.

Thus, I would suggest:

1. Web ID or WebID - a HTTP URI that identifies a Person Entity that is
typically the primary topic of a personal profile document
2. Personal FOAF profile document URL - a HTTP URI that identifies the
location of a document that holds personal profile metadata (an RDF
document that describes a Person Entity).

btw - I don't grok Brad's use of FOAF URL, and I don't think he should
be quoted since his statements are actually inaccurate :-(

Kingsley