[foaf-dev] revisiting FOAF project goals

Dave Brondsema dave at brondsema.net
Wed Jun 24 04:31:26 CEST 2009

I initially became interested in FOAF when I found it as a decentralized
way to declare relationships, especially since some social network
providers already exported FOAF data.  That was several years ago when I
was working on Konfidi, a senior project at school:  http://konfidi.org/
 I still put some time into working on it and want Konfidi to become
truly useful for filtering email and blog spam, and more.  Its progress
has been pretty slow though, since it's just one of many side projects
for me.

For Konfidi, I've ended up deciding that using existing foaf:knows
relations is great, but we also have our own Relationship class so we
can add topics and trust amounts to the relationship.

For practical purposes, I'm mainly interested in the major providers
that produce FOAF data, and those that have xfn microformat data.  While
many of us write our own FOAF files, the public can't be expected to do
so, nor even know what FOAF is really.  One part of Konfidi will be a
webapp where you can log in with openid and declare some of your
relationships.  That would create the RDF for them, but all they'd know
is they're using the Konfidi system, nothing about FOAF or RDF.

Dave Brondsema : dave at brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming
               <><