[foaf-dev] [foaf-protocols] revisiting FOAF project goals

Kingsley Idehen kidehen at openlinksw.com
Wed Jun 24 17:13:00 CEST 2009

Danny Ayers wrote:
> 2009/6/20 Kingsley Idehen <kidehen at openlinksw.com>:
>

>> FOAF provides:
>>
>> 1. Infrastructure for Federated Identity (exposed via document that
>> contain FOAF based personal profile metadata) as we see via FOAF+SSL
>> 2. Untethered & Dynamic Social Networking.
>>

> I agree completely, but how do we express the value-add over other
> identity initiatives, and how do we do the privacy thing - match the
> tech with people's expectations, while FOAF+SSL is certainly elegant,
> I'm not sure it fully addresses the human aspect.

Danny,

I believe this is where policies come into play.

I should be able to publish pics of my kids to the Web and use a policy
to ensure that only certain people can see the pics without any of the
aforementioned joining a new service. In short, all they need to do is
get a Web ID from somewhere (of course I could issue then one, in the
worst case, as part of the pic availability notification message etc..).

--

Regards,

President & CEO