[foaf-dev] [foaf-protocols] revisiting FOAF project goals

Dave Brondsema dave at brondsema.net
Thu Jun 25 19:08:11 CEST 2009

Matthew Rowe wrote:
> Hi Olaf
>
> Thanks for the comments.
>
> On 25 Jun 2009, at 06:14, Olaf Hartig wrote:
>
>> Hey Matthew,
>>
>> On Wed Jun 24 14:37:39 CEST 2009 Matthew Rowe wrote:
>>> On 24 Jun 2009, at 12:40, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Yeh this is something I have been puzzled by aswell. Olaf Hartig's
>>> paper on "Querying trust in RDF data with rSPARQL" [1] details that
>>> RDF graphs can be trust weighted, and expresses individual statements
>>> within the RDF graph as having trust values (ranging from 0-1).
>>> However, the paper does not explicitly say how trust values would be
>>> stored (ie. what the semantics would be for expressing a trust
>>> value).
>>> As you suggested it appears that the db contains an associated trust
>>> value with a given triple. I assume that in terms of assigning trust
>>> values to relationships, trust values would be assigned to the
>>> relationship triple:
>>>
>>> (<#Alice> foaf:knows <#Bob>) 0.9
>> Just to make this clear, my trust values represent the
>> trustworthiness of RDF
>> statements. There is a difference to trust values that represent the
>> trustworthiness of persons. You should not confuse both. If you want
>> represent the trust value associated with the relationship between
>> persons
>> you must not assign a trust value to the relationship triple (as you
>> suggest). Associating 0.9 to the triple
>>
>> :Alice foaf:knows :Bob
>
> Granted, that was just a naive example I was using but I see your point.
>

>> means the statement that "Alice knows Bob" can be trusted to a high
>> degree
>> (considering a trust value of 1.0 is the upper bound). It does not
>> mean that
>> Alice highly trusts Bob.
>>
>> BTW - Intentionally, I do not write about storing trust values (of
>> statements!) in my paper because I assume in the majority of cases
>> these
>> values do not have to be materialized. Usually, the trustworthiness of
>> processed statements is determined on demand; i.e. when it is needed
>> in the
>> application (or in the query engine in my case). At best these
>> values are
>> cached for a while. I don't see no value in explicitly describing
>> them with
>> RDF.
>
>> However, for the unlikely requirement to materialize trust values
>> determined
>> for statements (i.e. to explicitly describe the trustworthiness of
>> statements
>> with RDF) I developed a vocabulary [1]. This approach is based on RDF
>> reification.
>>
>> In contrast to trust values for statements I think it is reasonable to
>> explicitly represent the trust values for persons (i.e. describe
>> these values
> [...]

With Konfidi's vocabulary http://www.konfidi.org/ns/trust/1.2# I do:

[ a k:Relationship ;
    k:truster <http://brondsema.net/dave#> ;
    k:trusted _:andy ;
    k:about [ a k:Item ;
        k:topic ktopic:internet-communication ;
        k:rating 0.95
    ]
].

That is more similar to the ontology Melvin mentioned.

Dave Brondsema : dave at brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming
               <><