[foaf-dev] foaf:describedBySection

Simon Reinhardt simon.reinhardt at koeln.de
Fri Mar 20 16:29:29 CET 2009

Hi,

In FOAF we have the property foaf:page to link a thing to a document that is about the thing, so:

sg:ONeill foaf:page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_O'Neill> .

However very often a page is about several things. There might still be a main topic it is about but maybe you want to express that your thing is described by a certain section of the document. This happens very often in Wikipedia, e.g. Apophis doesn't have his own page:

sg:Apophis foaf:describedBySection <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa'uld_characters_in_Stargate#Apophis> .

Does anyone know if a property like that already exists somewhere? Otherwise I'd like to propose it (exact phrasing to be worked out, "section" is probably not generic enough). The range of such a property would be left open. You could imagine various ways to address a section: using fragment identifiers (element IDs in a HTML document, XPointer) or using [1].

Also tell me if you think it's out of scope for FOAF, then I'll just add it to OpenVocab. :-)

Regards,
  Simon

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/Pointers-in-RDF/