[foaf-dev] RDF/RDFa now part of Drupal core

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Fri Oct 23 04:45:13 CEST 2009

So here is very a positive note from my own experience today - occurring SIMPLY as a result of Stephane's memo.

Ive struggled to convince folks in my industry about rdf. (My industry is US realty - distributing lots of realty listings about houses, supporting a 22 trillion dollar annual market in conveying residential property). It was just hard to even talk about rdf technology and web-style data linking in general. The main hurdle was fear - that it was all too advanced, and the average programmer could not grasp it. There came a point where I dared not utter the words: inference and ontology.

That was overcome today with the Drupal story - expressed as content management. Replacing the term ontology with data dictionary (1970s term) and the term inference with data processing (1960s term), the deed was finally done.

Oh, you mean we no longer have to screen scrape the HTML to get to the underlying data? Oh. Ok. We get it (rdf). So, we just parse the file now, to process it. Oh! And the source can use any tags one likes? with metadata mappings based on some metadata rule file?. And, we can expose it anew after processing, with our own tags? Ah.....  So what's the fuss you've been making about rdf, Peter? Seems obvious. Just do it.

What a change (due to RDF and the right delivery vehicle).

Now make Google Profiles export a Foaf file for a half billion users, I think this will all reach the mass breakout point.