[foaf-dev] RDF support for anonymous users in Drupal

Stephane Corlosquet scorlosquet at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:02:05 CET 2009

(cc'ing the public mailing list)

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Uldis Bojars <captsolo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephane,
>
> What you propose looks fine, especially considering there were no
> strong objections on the mailing list.
>
> Having a FOAF Person / Agent (which would add complexity for you) for
> anonymous persons can be somewhat more precise, but it boils down to
> if you believe you can say that homepage is an IFP or not. If you
> think homepage is an IFP for a person, then using FOAF has some more
> knowledge than just a sioc:User.
>
> On the other hand using sioc:User can be just as good. After all, the
> main thing is to put the data out there. Then people can make use of
> it, elaborate the data, etc.

yes, here using sioc:User for any type of user keeps the implementation
simple.

> BTW: How, based on this RDF data, can you know which user is anonymous
> and which is a registered user?

Both are sioc:User, but registered users have a URI, while anonymous are
blank nodes (and just have a foaf:page to their homepage). So SPARQL should
be able to distinguish the two, I think. I just happened to talk to Andreas
Langegger this morning over breakfast, he suggested to use the isBlank
operator.

Steph.