[foaf-dev] validator output

Steve Harris steve.harris at garlik.com
Sun Sep 27 21:39:16 CEST 2009

Those warning mean that it will be hard for FOAF consuming tools to
work with your data. Mainly because they'd have to guess which of the
foaf:Person-s in the document is you, and which is the people you know.

I don't know whether they mean it's not really a "valid" FOAF file,
whatever that means :)

- Steve

On 27 Sep 2009, at 20:33, Paola Di Maio wrote:

> Actually
>
> In addition to the remarks below, I just noticed that it says
>
> - validator passed
>
> -  some warnings are issues below
>
> so, how can it pass the validation, if it fails some tests (or is it
> deliberally loosely constrained?)
> thanks
>
> Test 1: Checking rdf:type of the document:
>
> Warning. The document URL is not of type FOAF Document. The FOAF URL
> should be of rdf:type foaf:PersonalProfileDocument or foaf:Document
> so that the URL can be identified as a FOAF document
> Test 2: Checking for a foaf:primaryTopic:
>
> Warning, There is no foaf:primaryTopic in this document
> Test 3: Checking if PrimaryTopic is a foaf:Person:
>
> Warning. Your PrimaryTopic is not explicitly a foaf:Person
>

> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Paola Di Maio
> <paola.dimaio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mischa
>
> thanks a lot for the validator
> (thanks too Dan, this hopefully will help me solve what I feel is a
> rather dumb question)
>
> Basically, ( rather embarrassed)
> a) I am not sure why I am not getting what I expect to see after
> pasting my foaf profile to my web page
> b) maybe I dont know what I should expect to see
> c) I really did not want to say this in public, but wtheck we are
> friends of friends right?
>
> I have posted a foaf profile to my web page here
>
> http://personal.strath.ac.uk/paola.dimaio/
>
> in there, there is  a link (should I say URI) that redirects to my
> .RDF profile
>
> http://personal.strath.ac.uk/paola.dimaio/paola.rdf
>
> when I click on it (firefox with tabulator installed), all I see is
> the URI string itself
>

> is that what I should expect to see, (I suspect not)
>
> when I ran the validator earlier today, it said 'the file is empty'
> I then realised that there were some missing tags at the top of the
> document
>
> it was: rdf:RDF
> instead of : <rdf:RDF>
>
> - so not sure if  valid xml/rdf syntax (as in missing a tag) is
> actually tested in there?
>

> so I put the tags in, and now your parser says:
>
> Rapper output
>
> Raptor RDF validation passed
>

> I take it measn that the foaf profile is good, right?
>

> but I still cannot see anything other than the uri when I click on
> it, and I still dont know what I should see,
>
> :-(
>
> Am  I making a fool of myself ;-)

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:47:13 +0100
> From: Mischa Tuffield <mischa.tuffield at garlik.com>
> Subject: [foaf-dev] FOAF Validator
> To: foaf-dev Friend of a <foaf-dev at lists.foaf-project.org>
>
> Hello All,
>
> I have added a couple of checks to the foaf validator :
>
> 1) It now flags strings which begin with "http://" and informs the
> user that they should be rdf:resources.
>
> 2) And checks for domain names without trailing slashes :), am not a
> [...]

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD