[foaf-dev] referring via meta link to an opera-hosted foaf file

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 13:46:43 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Peter Williams
<pwilliams at rapattoni.com> wrote:
> I’ve been playing with Opera browser’s ability to enable the user to also
> personally serve pages (including my foaf file). The foaf file is only
> resolvable when I’m “active”  with the browser (and thus a, logged into and
> live with the opera-service that allows (rdf) files in my browser-space to
> be visible on the web).
>

> How would I tell the world this?
>

> How can the world know that my foaf file will only quite normally be ONLY
> SOMETIMES available, via the meta link?
>

> The times it is available are essentially a presence service, of course.

Plenty of solutions to this.  Here is the one I favour:

The URI hosting your FOAF should have a cached/live copy of your most
recent FOAF.  I know the opera proxy isnt the ideal for this, but it's
not so bad.

Perhaps it will give a 404 when you are offline, but I would prefer to
send down the most recent cached copy.

As you say, it can be extended to a presentce protocol, so XMPP is a
tried and tested model here.  I've often thought about combining XMPP
and FOAF, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to introduce such a
dependency.

Also may be of interest danbri's post on skype rdf presence:
http://danbri.org/words/2008/02/09/272