[foaf-dev] [foaf-protocols] fp:ping

Mischa Tuffield mischa.tuffield at garlik.com
Thu Apr 15 13:05:31 CEST 2010

Hello All,

Am aware of some work people are doing at Southampton, where by there are proposing a RESTful interface to acquiring what they refer to as "backlinks"[1]. I am not sure if this is similar problem to what Henry is talking about, but it seems that way to me. There is a sample client [2] which makes use of the backlink service [2]. There is a paper, which describes the service, currently in the process of being published. But you can always email manuel ms8 at ecs.soton.ac.uk to get more info. Am guessing this is similar to the foaf.qdos reverse search service I put together a while ago [3] which you can add data to via our ping service [4].

Apologies if you are trying to solve a different problem.

Mischa

[1] http://backlinks.psi.enakting.org/
[2] http://map.psi.enakting.org/
[3] http://foaf.qdos.com/reverse
[4] http://foaf.qdos.com/ping
On 15 Apr 2010, at 10:19, tyler gillies wrote:

> <textInput> rather
>
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:17 AM, tyler gillies <tjgillies at gmail.com> wrote:
> i am proud to say i have never used xml-rpc once in my life ;) (well maybe, but if i did, its blocked out of my memory)
>
> the ping idea is cool. kinda reminds me of RSS's <getInputText>
>

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Story Henry <henry.story at bblfish.net> wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2010, at 08:42, Toby Inkster wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:00:23 +0100
> > Story Henry <henry.story at bblfish.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to propose a ping relation.
> >
> > Have you seen Semantic Pingback?
> >
> > http://aksw.org/Projects/SemanticPingback
>
> It seems unnecessarily complex.
>
> It uses RPC, when a simple HTML FORM can do. Why? RPC was cool 8 years ago
> because it used XML!  Wow! The continuation of this lead to the SOAP
> bubble, which seems to have vanished in the past year somehow.
>
> So the suggestion seems to be that because blogging used RPC for ping,
> one should use it too. But since every application developer knows how
> to parse a POST, and only legacy blog developers need to learn the dying
> XML/RPC standard, I don't see why we should burden ourselves with it.
> Neither do I understand why the linked data people are.
>
> Or perhaps I have mised something.
>
> If I have not, I'll repost the suggestion on the linked data
> mailing list.
>
> Henry
>

> > --
> > Toby A Inkster
> > <mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>
> > <http://tobyinkster.co.uk>

> --
> Everyone Loves Tea
> http://www.everyonelovestea.com
>

> --
> Everyone Loves Tea
> http://www.everyonelovestea.com

Mischa Tuffield PhD
Email: mischa.tuffield at garlik.com
Homepage - http://mmt.me.uk/
Garlik Limited, 1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK
+44(0)7989 199 786  http://www.garlik.com/