[foaf-dev] Fwd: relationship vocab

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon Dec 13 15:07:45 CET 2010

Does it really make sense to try to shoehorn all of these concepts
into foaf? It seems to me that in this and other projects we are
trying to add general terms and relationships to more specific
schemas. Why not elevate some concepts (like "next to", "name",
"place") to be direct descendants of owl:Thing or owl:Class? They can
still use the foaf namespace (it doesn't really matter what namespace
is used) but people wouldn't struggle with trying to fit them into the
original foaf realm of social networking. (Yes, it's true that RDF
doesn't constrain you, but the human mind does. The fact is, using the
term "Person" is not neutral; it means something to people, who in
this case are less flexible than machines.) It's ok to outgrow the
original concept, and not to try to keep everything inside its
boundaries.

Besides, I see us re-defining the same general properties over and
over, and most of them are buried in schemes where no one would think
to look for them because it's just not the logical place to look.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net