[foaf-dev] rough notes: badges, lists and groups in RDFa/OWL

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Mon Dec 20 22:26:54 CET 2010

I can see the need, in an assertive world FOR A "do-not-assert" mechanism. And, indeed, a do-not-re-assert" mechanism.

You cannot claim me as a member of YOUR group, just because you assert it to be so. It may be preducial to me.  Sorry, as much as folks want to, you may NOT put me in a listing of (US) Americans (because its strictly illegal for me to claim to be one, or half claim that status, or even to let there exist evidence that others are claim that state about-me).

This suggests: for my badge with a do-not-assert tag, the party asserting I have consented to listing in their group SHALL have some or other (technical) evidence of that consent - probably from the SSL or SSL+Digest handshake.

The nice thing about the SSL-enhanced www-auth header's fields is that there is implicit evidence from the crypto and the crypto's timing and handshake - that then can tie HTTP handshakes to time and place. Used nicely, these might be re-purposed for *Discretionary* consent in semweb groupware, to deal with the kind of semi-trust/semi-formal controls needed in large societies.