[foaf-dev] rough notes: badges, lists and groups in RDFa/OWL

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Tue Dec 21 00:15:01 CET 2010

I much prefer the semweb way of doing things (vs CORBA (over IIOP));  but for IP reasons, its always worth taking note of the past:

http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~dmerrill/badge/Want92_ActiveBadge.pdf

Now, I remember studying the core of ANSAware when I was an undergrad (finishing 86); I also remember the activebadge project that was funded by the EC (which means lots and lots of disclosure...) and its anticipated relationship to name servers (including name servers with certs tied to the naming hierarchy, much like DNSsec).

What is interesting about activebadge and its hookup with CORBA was the notion of dynamic groups, defined according to "location". It's very intituitve, when the badge is literally a (RF) sensed badge (similar to the RFID in your passport or driver's license or car tires these days, sensed in a crowd of 1000 at about 30ft in 5mS, with today's signal analysers.) To those auto-defining groups,  a tag might be attached by schema or actuality (such as do-not-disturb; when said tag is whole point of going into that particular sealed room, surrounded by lots of copper and lead shielding with only ciphered signals as possible outputs...)