[foaf-dev] embedded file-based metadata - for .torrent

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 20:34:48 CET 2010

On 24 December 2010 20:06, Peter Williams <pwilliams at rapattoni.com> wrote:
> Using the definitions in the wot ontology, assume that some instance of a
> metadata document makes statements that are (to humans) references to files
> (.sig etc) to be pulled using HTTP(s). Since those refs are related to
> descriptive statements that type the urlrefs, a reasoning engine might know
> that .sig is a PGP signature blob (without having formally defining the
> value syntax or internal-coding of such a blob). Presumably, a semweb
> processor is supposed to fire off a “plugin” that uses non-semweb metadata
> to fully interpret the blob; and ultimately present the information in a
> browser-centric manner.

Yes, though WOT and FOAF will hopefully come together a bit more next
year.  We just need to nail the use cases, terms and definitions.
Some notes are in progress here:

http://openetherpad.org/fXuqiu8nem

> In the case of FOAF-related ontologies (such as the proposed ontology for
> RSA  keys), is there any experience (a la wot) with pointing to a .torrent
> file (vs a .sig file), qualifying its urlref as torrent stream (rather than
> a PGP .sig  blob)…. and firing off a file-type-centric plugin in the browser
> that renders the torrent stream (rather than firing off PGP sig verification
> of a transfer-syntax/encoding of a RDF stream)?

Only one I know of the music ontology torrent field

http://musicontology.com/#term_Torrent

> Ive been playing with outlook, embedded IE browser, email-pushes of
> openid-signed comments on wordpress blog sites, torrents, and
> twitter-microblogs about individual torrents (and torrent metadata). Seems
> an ideal mechanism for mass distribution of self-signed root certs for
> individuals….where (when combined with DNSsec) the seeding and peering
> process addresses spoofing threats attaching the authority of the binding to
> a domain-name.

Sounds great.

> If nothing else its complements the cached distribution model of the web,
> leveraging the survivability nature of packet switching (as intended by the
> early internet designers).

The bottom up approach of the semantic web means that if something
isnt already created, you can make it yourself.  What you will tend to
find is that if someone is prepared to well maintain a vocabulary,
then its tends to get used more and more, and the necessary code will
follow.