[foaf-dev] embedded file-based metadata - for .torrent

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Sat Dec 25 04:13:07 CET 2010

Perhaps I should ask it other way arounds.

It's easy to go to google and search for file types (such as those implied by .torrent). Similarly, I can find RSS feeds whose elements wrap .torrent content types. I can get Outlook to recognize the opening of a torrent ref in an RSS feed, and it fires up the torrent client. It will then locally store the released content as a local resource, and then open the resource referring to it by its local reference.

I can also read all about a microblog feed about a particular torrent @ http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/06/twitter-now-even-more-torrent-friendly/ noting its main claim:

" From BitTorrent VP Simon Morris:

	"The point of Torrent Tweet is to adapt the powerful referencing system built into BitTorrent to the incredible social interaction engine that Twitter has built such that people can have conversations about things they are downloading, and they can be sure that they are talking about the same thing." "

I suppose my original question was too technical (how does one describe .torrent urlrefs in semweb-land, and does it work like .sig urlrefs in wot-land?)

Perhaps a better question is:

What have folks done with foaf cards when working with: a twitter-like capability aiming to confirm an claimed identity relation in a graph (e.g. bittorrent's tweeint integration), web2.0-era RSS feed of refs to .tweet resources/things, or when simply creating .torrent streams that contain one or more foaf PPDs persisted as file streams?

I dont see why its inappropriate (nowadays) to let a webid ( in its client cert) be ref to a container (of a foaf card) - where the container is essentially playing the role of a transfer-syntax and its transfer-encoding. At this point we have a foaf protocol (and the topic should probably move mailing list...). But, in short, once the PPDs in the .tweet stream are accesses, the individuals PPDs may well have either a local http uri (to the unwrapped resource) or more likely a local file: ref.