[foaf-dev] relationship vocabulary suggestions for improvement

Whitley, Zachary C. Zachary.Whitley at jhuapl.edu
Tue Feb 16 20:41:12 CET 2010

> Do those people actually have an employment relationship with
> themselves. In other words do they hire themselves? Is the term
> self-employment just named that way because it is analagous to
> employment, rather than because it is a type of employment?

> Wikipedia includes Black's Law Dictionary's definition of employee as:
> "A person in the service of another under any contract of hire,
> express or implied, oral or written, where the employer has the power
> or right to control and direct the employee in the material details of
> how the work is to be performed."

> That suggests a relationship between two different parties.

Fair enough but the United States IRS defines it as:

You are self-employed if any of the following apply to you.

    * You carry on a trade or business as a sole proprietor or an independent contractor.
    * You are a member of a partnership that carries on a trade or business.
    * You are otherwise in business for yourself.

(http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98846,00.html)

If it is the case that employment is between two different parties how would you express that you work for yourself? The law doesn't seem to have a problem referring to the same physical person as different legal entities is which case being employed by yourself isn't so strange.

I'd imagine trying to make a law ontology could get really interesting.