[foaf-dev] [pedantic-web] FOAF and dcterms:creator/dcterms:Agent

Damian Steer pldms at mac.com
Tue Feb 23 23:59:28 CET 2010

On 23 Feb 2010, at 21:49, Hogan, Aidan wrote:

> Hey Dan,
>
>> They mean the same thing. They are true under the same conditions. The
>> equivalentProperty claim merely documents that.
>
> Ah yes... but applying that logic, I'd be looking at a lot more
> equivalentClass and equivalentProperty relations in FOAF... unless the
> class http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/contact#Person includes some
> form of hybrid mutant people that foaf:Person doesn't? :) :P

Missing isn't broken :-)

> My root (purposefully leading) question is this:
>
> Do we want each vocabulary to have a distinct view on the world,
> possibly cross-defining terms in other vocabularies?
>
> Or do we only allow vocabularies to cleanly extend other vocabularies,
> contributing its own independent set of terms to model the world, thus
> following modular design practices?

As far as I can see dc11:creator might well have been used if it had been suitable, but the range issue was a problem. So foaf:maker filled the gap. Now we have dc:creator which is just the same, and that equivalence is documented.

Is that a 'dirty' extension? I think it runs the risk that another party (namely dc) could alter the meaning of the term. But that's also true of the subproperty case, were dc to strengthen maker to something like 'creator (in a particular legal sense)'.

For third parties it is clear who is making the equivalence claim.

Damian