[foaf-dev] A FOAF 2 FOAF (micro) payment system

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 02:55:20 CEST 2010

On 24 July 2010 14:02, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Introduction
> ===========
>
> I would like to propose a simple FOAF 2 FOAF payment system, also
> describing a reference implementation.
>
> The system should be as easy as typing on the command line :
>
> $ pay toby 1.23
>
> >> Processing ...
> >> Payment Successful!  $1.23 has been paid to Toby Inskster
>

> Design
> ======
>
> 1. For this exepriment I'm going to use FOAF / WebID [1] as the primary
> key, and bitcoin P2P crypto currency [2] as a reference payment system.
>
> 2. Setup: the system will have your WEBID set as an environment variable,
> and also the bitcoin payment system running on your machine
>
> 3. A command script pay <recipient> <amount> will invoke a script that will
> continue processing
>
> 4. Recipient is checked against entries in your foaf:knows via sparql.  It
> can be a webid or a partial name match.
>
> 5. Once the recipient webid is known a payment system is looked for via
> SPARQL.  Here is a proposal of how bitcoin will look:
>
>   <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://foaf.me/melvincarvalho#bitcoin1">
>       <ns0:accountServiceHomepage
>                rdf:resource="http://www.bitcoin.org/"/>
>       <ns0:accountName>1J4F6Beb2zFSuoyj15mdhw3HA7KkEVa8DS</ns0:accountName>
>
>   </rdf:Description>
>
> 6. SPARQL for the account name and use that as the payment address
>
> 7. Run the payment command such as ./bitcoin sendtoaddress
> 1J4F6Beb2zFSuoyj15mdhw3HA7KkEVa8DS <amount>
>
> 8. Report success / failure
>

> Extending the system
> =================
>
> I think this system would work fine for FOAF using the bitcoin system.  But
> further work could be to extend to other payment systems and delivery
> mechanisms.  For example, email, much like paypal do.
>
> I'd encourage FOAFers to play around with bitcoin, and I'm very happy if
> anyone wants to experiment further with this tech.

See also the bitcoin networked economy:

http://bcspec.org/

*The goal of the specifications and protocols listed on this site is to
allow any merchant, exchange, or individual to publish information
describing products and services that may be bought and sold with bitcoins.
Once this metadata is published, any automated spider may crawl this
information and generate a searchable index of bitcoin products and
services.*