[foaf-dev] sioc:UserAccount vs foaf:OnlineAccount?

Uldis Bojars captsolo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 17:12:22 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Alexandre Passant
<alexandre.passant at deri.org> wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2010, at 19:58, Jodi Schneider wrote:
>
>> I see that sioc:UserAccount [1] is a subclass of foaf:OnlineAccount
>> [2]. Are there any important differences between them, or can they be
>> considered roughly synonymous?
>
> There's indeed roughly synonymous.

Roughly synonymous, yes.
But there are differences as well:

1) as Alex wrote, sioc:UserAccount is more specific. In most cases it
is used to describe a user account on Social Web  services while
foaf:OnlineAccount is broader and may refer, for example, to
e-commerce accounts such as PayPal.

2) they differ in what properties are commonly used together with
sioc:UserAccount and foaf:OnlineAccount.

> I'd personally use sioc:User for Web-based service, and foaf:OnlineAccount for other online but not web-based services.
> Other opinions ?

Uldis