[foaf-dev] alternate names for people

Mischa Tuffield mmt04r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 2 12:57:16 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 2 Jun 2010, at 11:49, Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

> Hi Mischa
>
> if you sameAs two foaf people you have only one resource and any property that applies to one applies to the other as well. So your suggestion results in one foaf:person with two names, without any distinction between primary and alt.

Sure, if you have OWL reasoning built into your application... I see no need for reasoning when doing FOAF stuff (but that is my POV), and plus you want to be able to work with constantly changing/updating data, and reasoning would have to work hard too manage that.

But yeah, if you give them two URIs you should write a sparql query which would either return the two "names" (i.e. a smushed persona), or you could write one which returned two URIs each of which have their own foaf:name's.

Is looking forward to the day that OWL reasoners start becoming useful in the real world... /me hides

Cheers,

Mischa