[foaf-dev] alternate names for people

Ross Singer rossfsinger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 15:03:38 CEST 2010

If the same resource is used (and we just use foaf:name/skos:altLabel
to distinguish "identities"), how does an application know which is
the proper label to display for a particular association?

For example, would <http://openlibrary.org/works/OL15104151W> run the
risk of its <dct:creator> displaying "Daniel Handler"?  Would
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/69_Love_Songs> have <dct:contributor>
show up as "Lemony Snicket"?

There is probably also something useful about segregating these
identities for other reasons, as well -- grouping the stuff by a
particular persona together, for example.

Perhaps this calls for some notion of foaf:isAliasOf or foaf:alias or
foaf:aka or something?

-Ross.