[foaf-dev] alternate names for people

Houghton,Andrew houghtoa at oclc.org
Wed Jun 2 16:10:04 CEST 2010

Personally I agree that owl:sameAs it too strong a relationship.  It is
unfortunate that OWL doesn't have an owl:equivalentIndividual.

> I'm still not entirely convinced that this isn't a good use for
> skos:altLabel or skosxl:altLabel.

The point I was making in my prior message was that using skos:prefLabel
is a statement by a resource describer as to *their* preference, which
may not be the same statement anybody else might make.  Therefore,
attaching provenance to that statement would be a useful thing, no matter
what the mechanism, thus allowing applications to make more intelligent
decisions.

Andy.