[foaf-dev] Temporal Information For Groups in FOAF

Corey Wallis corey.wallis at flinders.edu.au
Tue Jun 8 07:10:09 CEST 2010

Hi Paul,

It's very early days at present, once I have something more concrete to
show / write up I'll let you know.

The Event and Timeline ontologies look to be just what I was looking
for. Do you have a small example serialised XML document that you could
show me?

My biggest challenge at present is getting to understand the way
everything relates in an RDF model and the XML serialised format seems
to be the way that makes the most sense to me.

Unfortunately there aren't that many examples. At least no where I'm
looking for them in any case.

With thanks.

-Corey

On 07/06/10 19:05, Paul Rissen wrote:
> Hi Corey,
>
> I'm working at the BBC on time/events/history/drama projects, and we're
> looking at Yves Raimond's Event and Timeline ontologies:
>
> http://motools.sourceforge.net/event/event.html
> http://motools.sourceforge.net/timeline/timeline.html
>

> Together with Ontomedia, an ontology for describing the narrative content of
> media:
>
> http://contextus.net/ontomedia
>
> Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on what you're trying to do, and
> where these ontologies might be useful...
>

> On 07/06/2010 01:40, "Corey Wallis"<corey.wallis at flinders.edu.au>  wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm new to FOAF and to RDF in general so I apologise if this question
>> has been answered before. I've Googled but can't seem to find what I'm
>> looking for.
>>
>> In essence I'm mapping the relationships between people who have
>> contributed to a theatre event.
>>
>> My current thinking is to use the Group [1] term as way to group
>> together all of the people who have contributed to an event.
>>
>> The reason I'm thinking of using the Group term, as opposed to the
>> Relationship vocabulary [2], is that it appears to me that the group
>> structure will be more flexible and allow me to include additional
>> information about the event.
>>
>> Two pieces of important information that I need to represent is a start
>> and end date of the event.
>>
>> Has anyone represented temporal information in FOAF / RDF before and if
>> so how did you do it?
>>
>> Alternatively if there is a way to use the Relationship vocabulary and
>> include temporal information on the duration of the relationship, I'd be
>> interested in hearing about that as well.
>>
>> Any thoughts are gratefully received.
>>
>> With thanks.
>>
>> -Corey
>>
>> [1] http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_Group
>> [2] http://purl.org/vocab/relationship/
>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/
> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
> Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.

Mr. Corey Wallis
Software Engineer, Aus-e-Stage
Flinders University
Tel: +61 8 8201 5818