[foaf-dev] Group vs Class

Ian Davis me at iandavis.com
Fri Jun 11 13:39:29 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I was wondering about the design decision behind foaf:Group and other
similar constructs in othe vocabularies. I thought I would ask here
because there's usually a wealth of background thinking that can get
surfaced via these kinds of questions.

Why do we want to use constructs like foaf:Group + foaf:member rather
than rdfs:Class and rdf:type? Is there fundamental difference between
a class of individuals and a group of them or is it stylistic?

For example, we could model the European Union as a foaf:Group or an
rdfs:Class. We would either say

:France foaf:member :EuropeanUnion .

or

:France rdf:type :EuropeanUnionMember

I've read the text around foaf:membershipClass but in one view of the
world that property could be viewed as a patch needed for not simply
using rdfs:Class in the first place.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these kinds of design decisions?

Cheers,

Ian